Friday, September 5, 2008

Down to brass tacks...or drawer pulls

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was given a beautiful antique mahogany buffet by my parents for my 21st Birthday. My mother and I picked it out at one of my favorite antique shops and it is supposed to be my "Hope Chest" (A hope chest, for those of you who aren't familiar with this ultra-southern tradition is usually a cedar chest that girls would use to collect linens, household items, etc... to use when they get married).
It has been sitting in my dining room for a while now holding my wine glases and serving dishes. I have had every intention of polishing the drawer pulls and cabinet handles, but never actually got around to it. Finally, over Labor Day weekend I decided to give it a try. At my mother's suggestion I first tried an old remedy 1 part salt to 1 part vinegar. Not only did this make my kitchen smell like a jar of pickles - sorry roommates! - but it did not work and actually managed to turn the handle a pinkish hue (thankfully I just tested one of them). So, the next day on a trip to the grocery store I picket up a bottle of Brasso Metal Polish which I believe cost me around $3.00.
I removed all of the handles and placed them in a container with the polish and let them sit a while. I then gave them a good scrub with on old toothbrush and a rinse in the sink and they looked like new. I gave the buffet a polish as well and reattached the handles.
I can't quite believe this is the same piece of furniture and furthermore I can't believe I waited so long to do this! Now I just need to get around to having it refinished...

No comments: