Once there was a hurricane. Her name was Katrina. She destroyed the coasts of Mississippi and Louisiana. After the storm a group of people (including my mother, the trash-hunter) went to Biloxi, MS to help the people of a church clean up and begin to rebuild. Now my mother knew I had been looking for an old door or mantle to turn into a headboard. As she was cleaning up outside of a home she noticed a bulldozer about to take on a huge pile of trash. In the claw of the machine was a lovely, albeit beat-up door. She ran wildly screaming for the operator to drop the pile of trash. The door was rescued from the trash heap and made it's way back to Huntsville, AL and was stored in my old playhouse until it's surprise reveal when I came home for Christmas (2005).
A trip to Lowe's, trim and bucket of paint later we went to work on converting the door into a headboard. My tireless father patiently listened to my extravagant dreams of what this door could be and then turned it into an actually functional headboard. After an interesting trip transporting it back to Auburn, where I was still in school, and some help unloading it, I had a headboard.
*Note: when your father ties your new headboard to the top of your SUV for a trip down the interstate, make sure he uses rope to actually tie it down, not bungee cords. I thought my car was either going to take flight or the door was going to fly off and murder my brother in the car behind me.*
Side Note*
Here is a picture of my mother and another dear friend made during a series of trips to the MS coast (long before I ever knew I would be moving here). They are washing the communion table from a church destroyed by Katrina (the inscription says "Do This In Remembrance Of Me").
I often jokingly refer to pulling weeds as "redeeming creation" and it is. So is restoring a door that was almost rendered useless and now holds up my bed. It is my reminder that seemingly meaningless jobs are reclaiming creation for glory.
"He comes to make His blessing flow. Far as the curse is found..."
A trip to Lowe's, trim and bucket of paint later we went to work on converting the door into a headboard. My tireless father patiently listened to my extravagant dreams of what this door could be and then turned it into an actually functional headboard. After an interesting trip transporting it back to Auburn, where I was still in school, and some help unloading it, I had a headboard.
*Note: when your father ties your new headboard to the top of your SUV for a trip down the interstate, make sure he uses rope to actually tie it down, not bungee cords. I thought my car was either going to take flight or the door was going to fly off and murder my brother in the car behind me.*
Side Note*
Here is a picture of my mother and another dear friend made during a series of trips to the MS coast (long before I ever knew I would be moving here). They are washing the communion table from a church destroyed by Katrina (the inscription says "Do This In Remembrance Of Me").
I often jokingly refer to pulling weeds as "redeeming creation" and it is. So is restoring a door that was almost rendered useless and now holds up my bed. It is my reminder that seemingly meaningless jobs are reclaiming creation for glory.
"He comes to make His blessing flow. Far as the curse is found..."

1 comment:
Wouldn't that be funny if someone read this blog and recognized their door??? Laughing, I just love your mom, I've never met her, but I like how good she is about re-purposing things! Your bedroom is so cute.
Post a Comment