Friday, January 8, 2010

Great Soup for the Winter!

Since we've been  experiencing actual winter weather here I've been wanting to stay bundled up by the fire place with a mug of hot chocolate.  Last night my mother made one of my favorite soups for dinner.   It's great for two, great for a crowd and always good when it's cold outside.

Mexican Chicken Soup

  • 1 lb. chicken breast
  • 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1 package taco seasoning
  • 1 can creamed corn
  • 2 Tablespoons garlic, minced
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • salt and cayenne pepper to taste
  • 1/4-1/2 bunch cilantro *I usually leave this out and just put it on the side for people to add if they want*
  • 1 cup Montery Jack cheese, shredded
  • 2-3 cups Half & Half
  • 2 cans Mexican tomatoes (you can use Rotel)
  • 2 cans black beans, drained
  • sour cream
  • tortilla chips
  • one lime sliced in wedges


  1. Boil chicken until cooked.  
  2. Allow chicken to cool enough to touch and then shred and sprinkle with taco seasoning while still warm.   
  3. Make sure to reserve 2 cups chicken broth!
  4. Combine chicken with broth, then add all ingredients except butter, cheese, and Half & Half.  *Make sure to drain the black beans or else the soup will turn purple!*
  5. Heat on low for 10 min. 
  6. Add butter and cheese and stir until melted. 
  7. Turn off of heat and add Half & Half.  




8. Top each bowl with crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, and extra cheese and squeeze a lime slice in each bowl.



Yum.

    2 comments:

    Amanda said...

    That looks so delicious! I loved the pics, and I've been soup crazy this winter. . . I love how one pot lasts for days, and I can eat it for supper when D is working.

    Jennifer said...

    sounds yummy! I've been meaning to try out my taco soup recipe (or what I come up with when I'm in the mood for it) with chicken.