Throw a Kentucky Derby Party!!!

The "Run for the Roses" has become a yearly tradition among me and my friends. I highly suggest it as it's a great excuse to dress up and have a party with good food!
We require hats for the ladies and proper "southern attire" for the gentlemen, i.e. seersucker, suspenders and linen.
We require hats for the ladies and proper "southern attire" for the gentlemen, i.e. seersucker, suspenders and linen.
This Year's Table
The menu is always the most fun to plan. This year ours included:
- a grits souffle (thank you Emeril)
- Jack Daniels Chocolate Ice Cream (from Frank Stitt's Southern Table)
- Kentucky Bourbon Pecan Pie
- Bourbon Balls - warning: these are potent!
- and THE BEST Mint Juleps ever (I can't post the recipe because it's a secret the and maker won't give it to me)
- Ham & Swiss Poppyseed Sandwiches (you can substitute Pork Tenderloin for the Ham)
My favorite food idea yet has been this Rosemary Popcorn! Although, instead of making rosemary infused oil, I finely chopped the rosemary and sprinkled it on the popcorn while drizzling olive oil. After we made it, we put it in paper cones for the historical factor...and it's so much easier to hold.
For the"Run for Roses" decorations we use roses (of course), although this year I added in other flowers to defray the cost and add more color.
We usually use whatever silver we can find and get really crafty by making the mini-jockey jersey's for a garland.
We have croquet set up in the yard for some extra fun as well.
1 comment:
Thank you for the pictures and party summary! I have been waiting and I was slow to read it but absolutely fabulous as always! So impressed!
Post a Comment