Saturday, May 23, 2009

Crafty

So this might be my new favorite project.

We've all see the the super cute products brought to us by The MacBeth Collection, right? Well I have had enough of the pricey options out there and decided to do something about it. After my mother inspired me with another project (which I will post about soon) I decided to make a beverage bucket for myself.

It all started when I spotted a tub at Lowe's for $9. I bought it along with with clear Rust-Oleum spray paint, clear bathroom caulking and a bottle of ModPodge from Hobby Lobby.

I had the fabric left over from some chairs I recovered in my living room .

Here is the finished project (to inspire you).




And here are the instructions in case you want to make one for yourself:

  1. Buy the bucket and clean thoroughly.
  2. Spray bucket, inside and out, with Spray paint and fill all seams and cracks with caulking to prevent leaking when the ice melts.
  3. Cut a piece of fabric a bit larger than what is needed to wrap around the bucket (at the bottom leave at least one inch extra). It's best to line one edge up the the top of the bucket so at least one edge is neat.
  4. Begin covering the bucket by painting the ModPodge on one section and and covering with fabric. Go SLOWLY around until the whole bucket is covered. You will probably need to do some stretching with the fabric to prevent bubbles and wrinkles.
  5. When you get to the sides with the handles, I found the best thing to do is cut a slit in the fabric with an Exacto knife and simply slide the fabric over the handles.
  6. When the fabric meets, make sure you fold over the edge for a pretty and neat finish.
  7. After the bucket is covered trim the excess fabric with the knife for a smooth edge.
  8. Cover the fabric in ModPodge and, when dry, spray entire bucket with the spray paint again. Let dry overnight and use as much as you can!
Note: It's best to use a fairly thin fabric so you can stretch it to fit the bucket!

Step 1


Step 4


Step 6




4 comments:

Jo-Jo said...

What did you do with the extra fabric as the sides slope in? The top is bigger around than the bottom so the top rim is neat but then as you put on the fabric you have to do something with the fabric from the middle of the top on down. Do you understand what I am getting at?

SM said...

Use a piece bigger than is needed to cover the tub. When the sides of fabric meet, cut the edge straight. It's fine if there is fabric hanging over the top rim, just trim it along with that on the bottom. It is MUCH easier with a thinner fabric so you can stretch it for a better fit.

It's best to use a fabric that isn't geometric so that the fabric can wrap around the shape of the tub, otherwise you will need to "pleat" the fabric to have it fit around the bottom.

Mary Martha said...

Martha Stewart you amaze me.

Roberdeau said...

24 hours! whoah, that's quite a project. That's like studying for a gross anatomy test! :P ha