Friday, December 11, 2009

And Around the Rest of the House....

Here is the rest of our Christmas decor!  Much is the same as last year, but we added the color red to our scheme this year instead of just green and white.  Who says you have to go all out every year with brand new ideas?  Not me!

The Mantle


I used the same moss wreath that I made last year, the same ribbon and  the "same" (it is fresh) Jackson vine as last year.  We each added red to our stockings -mine is the one with the ruffles :) I am particularly delighted about the glittered candles on the mantle.  I made them myself.   Here are the instructions.

The "chandelier" over the dining room table.

I was inspired by this picture in Pottery Barn.


I loved the look of this hanging from a light fixture, but we don't have a Pottery Barn in Mississippi and I didn't want to spend most of my decorating budget on a few large Christmas ornaments.

Solution: same ornaments as last year, fishing line and a bow.


*Sorry I didn't take many pictures of the construction*
With the help of my roommates I hung the ornaments (some individually and some tied together) from the arms of the light fixture with fishing line.



Then I took a smaller length of fishing line, wrapped it around all of the strands and the center of the fixture and tied it tight.  You can play around with the height of the knot and length of the strands to make "patterns" with the color of the ornaments.  Add a bow to the top at the knot and there you go!

The Front Door

Same garland and lights as last year, but this time I tucked in all the extra Jackson Vine* for a more lush look.


The wreath for is one I have used before, but the decorations are new.


I am not a fan of plastic ornaments AT ALL, but will use them outdoors in a heartbeat.  No one wants to worry about their wreath anytime the doors shuts.  I found these ornaments at the store and tied them in clusters with floral wire.  I then spaced them out on the wreath and tied them to the form.  The bow is made with ribbon from Hobby lobby - no surprise there :)

And that's all folks!

*Jackson Vine is the layman's term for Smilax smallii.
** For great bow-making instructions check out Martha's. 

No comments: