...physically, that is. Mentally, I'm still trying to feel sand between my toes and pray my tan doesn't fade as quickly as it usually does.
While at the beach I tried a new recipe and (I think) perfected an old.
One night we were cooking dinner and I was dying for fresh vegetables. We passed so many farmer's markets and roadside stands on the way down I could hardly stand it. I remembered one recipe in particular I had been wanting to try and called mom for it.

*I made a few alterations to the original recipe and have yet to come up with a new name for it.
The other dish I'm quite proud is an incredible simple "salad." Simple as it is, I somehow can never make taste quite like my mother's. This time I got pretty close and it was so cool are refreshing after a day in the heat.
While at the beach I tried a new recipe and (I think) perfected an old.
One night we were cooking dinner and I was dying for fresh vegetables. We passed so many farmer's markets and roadside stands on the way down I could hardly stand it. I remembered one recipe in particular I had been wanting to try and called mom for it.
Fresh Sauteed Corn*
- 6 ears of fresh corn, sliced off the cob
- one large Vidalia onion, diced
- six strips bacon
- 4 T. Butter
- 3 T. whipping cream
- 1 T. fresh basil
- fresh cracked pepper
- Fry bacon in heavy skillet.
- Remove cooked bacon and drain on paper towels.
- Remove all but 3T. grease from skillet. (I said it was good, not healthy)
- Add diced onion and saute until tender.
- Add corn kernels and saute another five minutes.
- When tender, add butter cream, pepper to taste and crumble bacon into dish.
- Right before serving stir in fresh basil.
*I made a few alterations to the original recipe and have yet to come up with a new name for it.
The other dish I'm quite proud is an incredible simple "salad." Simple as it is, I somehow can never make taste quite like my mother's. This time I got pretty close and it was so cool are refreshing after a day in the heat.
You may laugh when you read this and think how could anyone mess this up. I think the key is the onion/tomato ratio and the type of dressing:
- two large cucumbers, sliced (I cut the seeds out of mine because I hate slimy things)
- two large tomatoes
- one Vidalia onion
- one purple onion (this is really for color)
- half a bottle of light Italian dressing
Growing up this was a constant in our fridge for the entire summer. Everyday we would just slice a few more vegetables and add a bit more dressing.
*My mother and grandmother always added green bell peppers to theirs.
*My mother and grandmother always added green bell peppers to theirs.
1 comment:
That first recipe looks SOOOO southern! Looks delicious. Why is it that following the same exact recipes as our moms, it never quite tastes the same? I can't figure it out. My mom made her cinnamon rolls for us while she was visiting, and they were a hundred times better than mine. Sigh.
Post a Comment