Easter is easily one of my favorite holidays. While I was in college my family somehow turned Easter into a spring version of Christmas as we all came in town. We would start the weekend with an annual pre-Easter brunch on Saturday morning. At some point I would head to the church with mom and "help"/watch in awe as the sanctuary was decorated for the following morning. My cousin (who spent the holiday with us in college because her parents we across an ocean), my grandmother and I would usually get our nails done and then come back to the house to start cooking for Easter lunch. It was always a fun family weekend complete with a photo blitz in our Sunday best.
This year I surprised my mother and came home a night early! Dad was out of town and she was home alone...until she caught me sneaking into the garage. An even bigger surprise occurred at 2:00am when "baby brother" walked in the door after hitching a ride home with his roommate.
While she was thrilled to see us, I know Mom had intended to have the house spotless and half the food cooked before we arrived. So, to help ease her mad rush I offered to take care of dinner tonight. I had no idea what to make, but she mentioned a new box of whole wheat pasta and the rest followed...
Pasta with Tomato Garlic Cream Sauce
3 T butter
1/2 T minced garlic
3/4 c half and half (I used fat free)
s & p to taste
one tomato, diced
1/2 c sliced mushrooms (more if you like)
4 grilled chicken breast, sliced
Saute garlic in 1T butter. Add mushrooms and tomato and cook until soft. remove from pan. Add remaining butter, salt and pepper and half and half and cook until thickened (can add cornstarch if needed). Add chicken, tomatoes and mushrooms and cook until thoroughly heated. Serve over whole wheat penne pasta. Top with Parmesan cheese.
Serves 4.
You can also add Parmesan or goat cheese to the sauce instead of cornstarch. And I prefer "Barilla Plus" pasta!
1/2 T minced garlic
3/4 c half and half (I used fat free)
s & p to taste
one tomato, diced
1/2 c sliced mushrooms (more if you like)
4 grilled chicken breast, sliced
Saute garlic in 1T butter. Add mushrooms and tomato and cook until soft. remove from pan. Add remaining butter, salt and pepper and half and half and cook until thickened (can add cornstarch if needed). Add chicken, tomatoes and mushrooms and cook until thoroughly heated. Serve over whole wheat penne pasta. Top with Parmesan cheese.
Serves 4.
You can also add Parmesan or goat cheese to the sauce instead of cornstarch. And I prefer "Barilla Plus" pasta!
I served it with steamed broccoli and a strawberry salad that Mom made - she also put the chicken on the grill...an appliance I have yet to master.
No comments:
Post a Comment