Monday, June 30, 2008

Caramel Dreams

So, I forgot to add the topping for the ice cream mentioned in the previous post!

I had been challenged by my supper club to bring something caramel for dessert. Not being a huge caramel fan and never having cooked it myself I decided to use it as a topping for the ice cream. So I bought the ingredients, found a recipe and headed to the kitchen.

Not to brag, but I am a good cook. I don't recall ever messing up a recipe. This one, however, was not so easily conquered. It took me not one, not two, but THREE tries. I actually switched to another recipe for #3. My first two attempts resulted in the following...


-a great thing to have on hand for fending off wild animals or if you are planning a weapons manufacturing business. The sugar re-crystallized (because the recipe told me to swirl the pot - a big NO NO) and when I poured it out it hardened into this lump of rock.

This is a picture of what is supposed to happen:


And here is the recipe for the desired results - Thank you Food Network!


Caramel Sauce

2 cups sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup heavy cream

Combine the sugar and water in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook, swirling the pot around, until the mixture is a deep caramel color and looks like syrup, about 8 minutes. Carefully pour in the cream (it will bubble up) and continue to cook for another minute. Cool to room temperature.

No comments: